Barangay Daniel Fajardo Information Site
Barangay Daniel Fajardo is a small town with a huge history. In recognition of MSgt. & Prof. Daniel Mateo Fajardo‘s contribution to the citizens and the pride he brought to Las Piñas, the local government named a barangay in his honor. This is how Barangay Daniel Fajardo existed. Daniel Mateo Fajardo and Las Piñas Band paved the way for many locals to complete their education by benefiting from free education brought about by scholarships and membership in university groups. To this day, Banda de Las Piñas or Las Piñas Band continues their extraordinary legacy and advocacy.
Daniel Fajardo is a barangay in the city of Las Piñas. According to the 2020 census, the population of Barangay Daniel Fajardo is 10,629. It’s equivalent to 1.75% of the total population of Las Pinas. It’s on the island of Luzon at approximately 14:4809, 120.9816. The elevation at these coordinates is approximately 10.9 meters or 35.8 feet, above mean sea level.
The number of Daniel Fajardo households was 10,425 people, according to the 2015 census. It’s divided into 2,399 households or an average of 4.35 household members. Similarly, the age group with the highest population in Barangay Daniel Fajardo is 10 to 14, with 1,143 individuals. Moreover, the age group with the lowest population is 80 and over, with 59 individuals.
Barangay Daniel Fajardo’s population grew from 6,263 in 1990 to 10,629 in 2020. This shows an increase from 4,366 in 30 years. The latest 2020 census data shows a positive growth rate of 0.41% or an increase of 204 people from the previous population of 10,425 in 2015.
The famous tourist attractions and Las Pinas’ heritage site nestles in Barangay Daniel Fajardo. It is home to the bicentennial Spanish-inspired Baroque church, the Diocesan Shrine and Parish of Saint Joseph, and the 18th-century organ pipe, Bamboo Organ —the oldest, largest, and only known bamboo pipe organ in existence.
On November 5, 1795, the Archbishop of Manila commissioned the Augustinian Recollects to build a new church in Las Piñas, then a small farming and fishing town. Fray Diego Cera de la Virgen del Carmen, a native of Spain, traveled from Mabalacat in the Province of Pampanga and arrived in the city the day after Christmas 1795. Soon after that, he began building the church using adobe (volcanic) rock in the Baroque earthquake style.
The new priest was a very talented person. He was a scientist, chemist, architect, community leader, organ-builder, and organist. Fray Diego Cera also built Manila Cathedral and San Nicolas de Tolentino Church‘s (the main Augustinian church in Old Manila) organs. In 1816, when the stone church was nearing completion, he began building a bamboo organ and completed his instrument in 1824.
Fray Diego Cera was the parish priest of Las Piñas until May 15, 1832, when he could no longer perform his ministry due to a serious illness. He died in Manila on June 24, 1832.
Built over 8 years with 1031 pipes (902 made of local bamboo) the Bamboo Organ in St. Joseph Parish, Las Piñas, Philippines, was completed in 1824 under the direction of a Spanish missionary, Fray Diego Cera de la Virgen del Carmen. The Bamboo Organ has been working and playing almost every day for nearly 45 years since its restoration.
In the 1880s, the instrument was badly damaged by a natural disaster, so it was silenced until a restoration project began in 1972. The organ was moved from Las Piñas, Philippines to Bonn, Germany, where it underwent a complete reconstruction and was returned to the island in 1975. As a commemoration, The International Bamboo Organ Festival, which takes place every February, has become an annual musical tradition and celebration since then. On November 24, 2003, the National Museum of the Philippines declared the Bamboo Organ as a National Treasure.
The Bamboo Organ Foundation oversees the annual celebration of some of the world’s most famous organists. In the 44 years since its return to Las Piñas City, the Bamboo Organ and the festivals in its honor have become synonymous with Filipino cultural expressions.
As a monument to sustainable construction and technological sophistication, the Bamboo Organ symbolizes what is possible if its design draws on the local resources, labor, and ingenuity of the people of the country.
As one of the most highly urbanized cities in Metro Manila in the Philippines, the rich historical and cultural heritage city of Las Piñas has almost been forgotten due to the accelerating modernization of time. The city government has set a goal to keep Las Piñas in the corridor of living history for future generations.
Be mesmerized by Spanish-style lampposts, cobblestone streets, clay walls, clay pots, and flower pots. Stroll the streets of the Historic Corridor of Las Piñas old town and take a peek into its colonial past. Travel back in time and see historical and cultural landmarks that highlight interesting aspects of Spanish heritage.
The Las Piñas Historical Corridor Project was launched on February 22, 1995, by representatives of Manny B. Villar Jr. and foreign tourists and investors. It was legalized under Republic Act 8003, which proclaimed the following areas as tourist sites: St. Joseph Parish and Bamboo Organ, Old District Hospital, Las Piñas Bridge, Fr. Diego Cera Bridge, and the Asinan area (bed of salt, on the way ancient collecting salt). The guidance of this particular law is to prioritize tourism development in these areas. The restoration project includes the following neighborhoods: the old district of Barangay Manuyo, Pulang Lupa, Barangay Daniel Fajardo, Barangay Elias Aldana, and Zapote.
In the heart of the fast-growing city of Las Piñas, you’ll find several restored buildings and structures, including the Boundary Arch that marks the border between the neighboring towns of Las Piñas and Parañaque. The design of the arch is similar to that of woven bamboo but made of steel and concrete. The bamboo-inspired design is said to symbolize the strength and resilience of the Filipino people.
The project also includes the construction of a Historical and Cultural Museum that was a gift from Manny Villar’s family for Las Piñas residents. The museum serves as the historical and cultural center of the city that will maintain its vision for years to come.
Spanish colonial architecture is also evident in other locations: the New District Hospital, Manpower School, Daniel Fajardo Police and Fire Station, Daniel Fajardo Barangay Hall and Public Library; Irasan Center (where the tradition of salt is on display), Gabaldon Hall, and Fr. Diego Cera Bridge.
Historic sites such as the Zapote Bridge were also part of the restoration project as they commemorate the courage and bravery of the Filipino revolutionaries under the leadership of General Edilberto Evangelista during the bloody struggle for freedom. Plaza Quezon is another historic landmark that has witnessed countless political demonstrations and other important events. It was converted into a park where people can meet and relax in a comfortable environment.
The Spanish-inspired designs can also be seen on sidewalks, poles, white lights, and even trash cans. They were all chasing Fr. Diego Cera Avenue, the city’s main thoroughfare. One of the country’s leading architects, Francisco “Bobby” Magnosa, was involved in the project and drew the concept behind it. The historic Las Piñas Project truly reflects the glorious past of the Philippines and is a source of pride for all Filipinos.
Sources and other related articles: